At 17, you’re on the brink of adulthood, and your reading choices should reflect your evolving interests and curiosity. Here’s a list of books that will fuel your imagination, challenge your thinking, and inspire your journey towards adulthood.
1. “1984” by George Orwell
Enter a dystopian world where surveillance and government control are the norm. This classic novel is a thought-provoking exploration of power, freedom, and the individual’s fight against oppression.
2. “Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley
Step into a future society where science and technology have created a perfect, yet dehumanized world. This novel is a fascinating exploration of societal control, individuality, and the pursuit of happiness.
3. “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak
Experience the story of Liesel Meminger, a young girl living in Nazi Germany, through the eyes of Death. This novel is a unique and moving exploration of the power of words and storytelling.
4. “The Road” by Cormac McCarthy
Follow a father and son as they journey through a post-apocalyptic world in search of safety and hope. This novel is a harrowing exploration of love, survival, and the human spirit.
5. “All the Bright Places” by Jennifer Niven
Join Violet and Finch as they embark on a journey to discover the beauty in the world and in themselves. This novel is a poignant exploration of mental health, love, and self-discovery.
6. “The Goldfinch” by Donna Tartt
Delve into the life of Theo Decker, a young man whose world is turned upside down by a tragic event. This novel is an intricately woven exploration of art, loss, and the complexities of life.
7. “The Martian” by Andy Weir
Accompany astronaut Mark Watney as he fights for survival on the desolate landscape of Mars. This novel is a thrilling exploration of science, humor, and the indomitable human spirit.
8. “We Were Liars” by E. Lockhart
Enter the world of the Sinclair family and their private island. This novel is a suspenseful exploration of family secrets, love, and the consequences of choices.
9. “The Night Circus” by Erin Morgenstern
Step into the enchanting world of a magical circus that appears only at night. This atmospheric novel is a mesmerizing exploration of wonder, creativity, and the power of imagination.
10. “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald
– Witness the dazzling and tumultuous world of Jay Gatsby through the eyes of Nick Carraway. This classic novel is a timeless exploration of wealth, ambition, and the American Dream.